Designing Your Own Subway Sign

You have probably seen quite a few vintage subway signs creeping up everywhere from design blogs to retail stores like Restoration Hardware.


I love the vintage/industrial feel it brings to a living room. But with an average price tag of $1,600 I decided to make my own. Plus, I wanted to customize it with my own cities/stops.

STEP 1: I designed the actual signs in Photoshop. I picked the cities where both Ryan and I have lived:

Kenmore Square (Boston, MA)
Central Station (Sydney, Australia)
Brooks Drive (Annapolis, MD)
Woodley Park Zoo (Washington, DC)
East Falls Church (Falls Church, VA)

I made sure to use a very gritty font.

STEP 2: I printed my designs at Kinko's on a very heavy cardstock.

STEP 3: I purchased custom cut wood from Home Depot for $7, and painted it black to match the printed sign.

STEP 4: I adhered the sign to the painted wood using Mod Podge, a durable hard coat finish specially developed for use on furniture. This sealer adheres paper and fabric to almost any surface, and dries clear and smooth.
STEP 5: Finally I nailed hanging hooks into the back.

Although it doesn't look exactly like the $1,600 vintage piece above, I think it came out super charming!



Plus I love that it reminds me of all the places Ryan and I have lived, including our first apartment, and now our first home together. It's my version of a quilt :)

Ciao.
 

Search This Blog

Labels

Most Reading

arts, entertainment, business, computer, technology, game, home, home design, cosplay, forex, forex news, house, real estate, relationships, travel, leisure, automotive, car, health, home improvement, news, society, food, drinking, insurance, animal, education arts, entertainment, business, computer, technology, game, home, home design, cosplay, forex, forex news, house, real estate, relationships, travel, leisure, automotive, car, health, home improvement, news, society, food, drinking, insurance, animal, education